NATIVE AMERICAN COLLECTION
The Little Boston Branch has more than 1200 books, DVDs and CDs in its collection about Native American history, art, and tradition. Numerous original works of Northwest Coast-style artwork, many of which were created by the S'Klallam tribe, are on display at the location as well.
The Little Boston Branch opened in 1974 on the Port Gamble S'Klallam Indian Reservation in the north part of Kitsap County. During the first 15 years, the branch was housed in a small A-frame cabin with only 600 square feet of space.
In 1988 the Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe applied for and received an LSCA grant to help build a new library. The Tribe donated land just north of the original library, and a beautiful 1,500 square foot library was built. In April 1989 the new library opened its doors. Between 1989 and 2001, circulation increased 680 percent.
Recognizing the need for a new and larger building, the Tribe and KRL joined together in a capital campaign to raise money for an educational and cultural complex. The House of Knowledge complex, nearly 17,000 square feet total, built in 2007, includes a Longhouse, Career and Education Center, Elders Center and the new Little Boston Library.
- Building owner: Port Gamble S'Klallam Tribe
- Date built: 2007
- Size: 2,735 square feet
- Population served: 5,885